The basic steps for EV conversion are simple.
- Remove the old internal combustion engine parts. This includes engine, exhaust, fuel system and tank.
- Prepare mounts for the motor and place the motor into the car.
- Create/prepare mounts for the batteries and place batteries in the car.
- Mount the controller/converter into the car.
- Add wiring to connect everything together.
- Charge the batteries and try it out!
Sounds easy, doesn’t it? Well, the devil is in the details. Those who use a kit purchased specifically for the car they are converting will have an easier time than those doing an off-the-cuff conversion of an unusual car or without a kit. You can expect to do a lot of fabrication, jury rigging, and so forth to make things work. Most conversions can take several weeks to complete unless done by a professional.